Statistics in sports? A brief review of Chris Anderson's - 'The numbers Game"

First, I should start with one big apology for not having posted anything for the last two years. I have not been busier during my life, although I have been struggling to find the job. I spent the last 24 months attending MOOCs, reading lots of books, and writing two major papers, which have been recently published in my university's journal—now going back to business and my new passion - statistics.

How has everything started? About six months ago, I bumped into the "Moneyball" movie and, for 12 hours, watched it four times. Every time I was trying to find everything new, which would help me to convince myself that it was worth diving into the deep water. Well, I have found it:


Imagine the following situation: you stay with a piece of paper in front of the big TV screen, your mouth is open, and your mind is going to explode. You just can't figure out how someone has developed your idea. I have been thinking about specific sports patterns for the last five years, including applying the Elliott Wave theory. But this is new. Can numbers speak for themselves? Are managers making a big difference in clubs? How much does it cost to hire Ronaldo and Messi? How important are the team's tactics?

Chris Anderson, an award-winning social scientist and football analytics pioneer and David Sally, professor at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College, are authors of the must-read - The Numbers game. Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong. As a football fan with 15 years of experience, I was surprised to find how many things I did not know about it. I have been collecting posters, books, autographs, and stickers since I was 12, these two guys have written a new page in sports history. You won't be the same person after you read it.



I will post in the next weeks some graphs and charts with relevant explanations. Meanwhile, if you need some info here is authors page:  http://andersonsally.com/ .